Police detain captain, crew in deadly Indonesia ferry disaster

Photo: Ivan Damanik


SIMALUNGUN, Indonesia: The captain and two crew of an overloaded Indonesian ferry that sank into the depths of a volcanic lake have been detained by police for questioning over the deadly disaster, authorities said on Thursday (Jun 21).

Identified as Tua Sagala, the captain was among just 18 people rescued after the vessel capsized and sank on Monday afternoon on Sumatra’s Lake Toba, a popular tourist destination.

Four passengers were previously confirmed dead, but the search-and-rescue agency on Thursday revised that figure down to three.

Official estimates list 193 people missing as of Thursday morning, raising fears that the incident could become one of Indonesia’s deadliest ferry disasters.

The traditional wooden boat is believed to have been operating illegally with no manifest or passenger tickets.

Official estimates of the number of passengers are based on reports from families whose missing relatives may have been on the doomed vessel, but their accounts are difficult to verify.

If confirmed, the boat – which was also carrying dozens of motorcycles – may have been jammed with four or fives times the number of passengers it was built to hold.

Captain Tua Sagala and two of his crew would be questioned, said local police chief Marudut Liberty Pandjaitan.

Sagala is also the boat’s owner, he said, adding that a fourth crew member who survived the accident had since fled the area.

“(He) is still at large,” Pandjaitan told reporters.

Earlier Thursday, national police spokesman Yusri Yunus said the captain had not yet been questioned because he was “still traumatised”.


Hundreds of grief-stricken people have been waiting for days by the shore hoping for news on the fate of missing loved ones.

Some mourners expressed anger at the pace of the search effort.

Jadianto Nainggolan, 40, said a dozen relatives were on the boat including his three-year-old nephew.

He showed a picture of the group to AFP that he said was taken shortly before they got on the ferry, which has not yet been located.

“We’re hoping that our relatives will be found – we’re counting on the search and rescue agency,” he said.

“But I don’t think they’re doing enough – there seem to be more teams at the harbour than on the lake.

“There must be a lot of people trapped in the boat.”

It was not clear if any foreigners were on board.

Survivor accounts said the boat began shaking as it struggled to navigate strong winds and high waves about halfway into the 40-minute trip from an island in the middle of the lake to shore.

The rescue operation has now turned to recovering bodies – including those that may still be trapped inside the sunken boat.

Authorities have deployed divers and underwater vehicles, along with about 400 personnel, to search one of the world’s deepest lakes.

Toba is 500m deep in parts and covers an area of about 1,145sqkm.

The lake, popular with international and domestic tourists, fills the crater of a supervolcano that exploded in a massive eruption tens of thousands of years ago.

The disaster came just days after more than a dozen people were killed in an unrelated ferry accident in the Southeast Asian archipelago nation, where many people depend on boats to get around.

Traditional vessels – like the one in the Lake Toba disaster – are often packed beyond capacity.

They are rarely equipped with enough life preservers and their condition can be dire.

Nearly 80 people died in a ferry accident on Lake Toba in 1997.

More than 300 people are estimated to have drowned in 2009 when a ferry sank between Sulawesi and Borneo.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


four × five =